areas of transactional real estate law and
Mark S. Litner specializes in handling a broad range of commercial and residential real estate transactions and closings. He assists clients with purchasing, selling, leasing and financing real estate; resolving disputes between landlords and tenants; forming and structuring limited liability companies and other entities; and completing tax-free like kind exchanges of real estate. Mark also advises unit owners, homeowners, condominium and homeowners’ associations, commercial property associations, real estate brokerage firms and property management firms on numerous business and legal issues.
Some of Mark’s clients have included the following:
- Representing buyers, sellers, property owners, landlords, tenants, investors, brokers and lenders in purchasing, selling, leasing and financing real estate.
- Drafting and negotiating real estate contracts and related agreements; office, industrial, retail, medical, restaurant, condominium and residential leases; loan documents; and limited liability company operating agreements.
- Representing the owner of three downtown Chicago office buildings in drafting and negotiating dozens of office leases and lease amendments from 500 sq. ft. to 50,000 sq. ft.
- Representing a Chicago real estate investment firm with multiple private investors in acquisitions, financings, sales and like-kind exchanges of dozens of industrial and office buildings valued from $1 million to $75 million.
- Representing landlords and tenants in enforcing leases and resolving lease disputes.
- Representing middle market companies, family businesses, investors, business owners and entrepreneurs in buying, selling and leasing office buildings, retail strip malls and shopping centers, restaurants, apartment buildings and owner-occupied buildings.
- Representing clients in general business planning and strategy and forming and structuring limited liability companies.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University,
B.A. in Finance, 1985
- Tufts University, B.A. in Economics, magna cum laude, 1981
Mark has been recognized on multiple occasions by the Leading Lawyers Network as a top Illinois lawyer in the areas of commercial real estate and real estate finance, and has been designated as an Illinois Super Lawyer, an honor given to the top 5% of attorneys in the state.
- Illinois, 1985
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, Real Property Law Committee
Attorney Articles and Publications
- “Landlords in the Lurch: Tips for Discouraging Tenant Default” – 2010
- “Protecting Your Interests: How Landlords and Tenants Can Adjust to Troubled Economic Times” – 2009
- “The Real Estate Lease Agreement” – 2006
- “Title Insurance: Essential Protection for Real Estate Purchasers” – 1994
- Past Member of Board of Trustees of North Shore Congregation Israel, Glencoe, IL
- Mark has taught courses on purchasing, selling and refinancing residential real estate as part of New Trier Extension’s continuing education program.
Mark lives in the northern suburbs of Chicago with his wife Amy. In his free time Mark enjoys bike riding, traveling and following his favorite teams, the Boston Red Sox and the New England Patriots, for whom he landed a tryout as a placekicker after college.